Northeastern University American Classroom program
Spring (January start), Summer (May start), Fall (September start)
Business/Economics; Engineering/Math/Science; Humanities/Social Science
Northeastern University’s American Classroom program offers international students a trusted route to a bachelor’s degree at a top-ranking US university.
The program’s curriculum is a combination of college-level English preparation and specialized academic coursework in your field of study. It is taught by Northeastern University professors on campus, allowing you to study in the heart of Boston. Upon successful completion of the program, you will transfer into your bachelor’s degree at Northeastern University – usually as a second semester freshman student.
Key features of the American Classroom program:
- 1-3 semester term (4, 8, or 12 month) pathway program. The duration depends on your English language proficiency exam scores.
- earn up to 8-16 academic credits that can be applied to your bachelor’s degree
- progression to second semester of your bachelor’s degree at Northeastern University upon successful completion of the program
Available progression degrees
After successful completion of American Classroom, you will be ready to move into your Bachelor of Art or Bachelor of Science degree at Northeastern University in Boston. We offer progression to a wide range of bachelor’s degrees, in such disciplines as arts, sciences, business, computing, and engineering,and more.
See our degree finder ↗ for a current list of available bachelor’s degrees.
Learn more about
- how to apply ↗
- fees and costs
- dates, entry requirements and progression degrees (download a brochure pdf)
↗ Links will redirect to the Pathways website.
The American Classroom curriculum provides a structured transition to US university life, blending intensive English language preparation and American cultural immersion with courses relevant to your intended major.
The American Classroom program is:
- designed to be completed in 1, 2 or 3 semesters – about 4, 8 or 12 months
- determined by your entering English language test results and fulfilled through successful completion of all American Classroom program requirements
Upon completion, you’ll transfer into your bachelor’s degree program at Northeastern University, usually as a second-semester freshman student.
American Classroom course offerings
Courses vary by level and are subject to change with ongoing curriculum refinement.
English skills courses offered
- Listening and Speaking
- Reading and Writing
- Communication on Campus
- Core Structure and Vocabulary
Academic skills courses offered
- Community and Learning
- Globalization and International Affairs
Sample academic content courses offered
- Introduction to Macroeconomics
- Introduction to Philosophy
- Global Corporate and Social Responsibility
- Pre-Calculus / Calculus I
Download a brochure for more information on program curriculum and available progression degrees.
Meet Jerome, a psychology major from Malaysia. Jerome describes what he likes most about being a Northeastern University student.